Dr. Jennea's Philosophy of Healing
Here is what I believe:
- The human body has the capacity to heal itself, and is constantly doing just that.
- Health is more than the absence of disease. It is a state of mental, emotional and physical adaptability that leaves you free to follow your passion. What do you love to do? Let's get you feeling your best so you can go do it.
- No two people are alike. This is true genetically, metabolically, emotionally and spiritually. A cookie cutter approach to healthcare will never be as successful as an individualized approach.
- When people develop chronic disease, it is because there are obstacles preventing their body from returning to a state of health.
- The main obstacle often has to do with how efficiently the person is digesting their food as well as the quality of that food. Believe it or not, digestion can effect literally every system of your body and cause or contribute to virtually every disease. Other common obstacles include chronic infections, toxin exposure, low thyroid or adrenal function, trauma, diet, lifestyle and many more. It is my job to act as a detective to figure out what obstacles are preventing you from feeling your best and help you remove them.
- When you experiences symptoms (fever, cough, diarrhea), this is your body attempting to heal itself. For example, when you get a fever, your body raises its temperature to a level that lets your own immune system work better while inhibiting bacterial and viral growth. The symptoms are not the disease, they are your body’s best attempt to respond to and heal from the disease.
- Suppressing or masking these symptoms, in this case by lowering a fever with Tylenol does not address the true cause of the disease and over time can actually force the disease deeper and lead to greater health issues down the road. Better to identify and treat the root causes so the symptoms disappear for good.
- It is appropriate to use suppressive treatments in dangerous or life threatening situations to protect the person's life or the functioning of their body. But it is important to understand that eventually, once the crisis has passed, this person will need supportive care to recover from the suppressive effects of that treatment.
- When used with finesse, the tools of naturopathic medicine (including hydrotherapy, homeopathy and botanical medicine) can support the body's self healing mechanisms rather than suppress them. Following this type of treatment, the recipient will emerge healthier than before their illness.
- Your intuition is worth paying attention to. I will always respect your inner wisdom and work with you to formulate a plan of action that suits you and feels achievable.
- Personal growth and change is hard, but it's not as hard as watching your health deteriorate. This is not a task that requires perfection, just perseverance and patience with yourself.
- Human suffering begets human suffering. One of the most profound things you can do to make the world a better, kinder, healthier place is to strive toward achieving your own wellbeing.
This philosophy is something that I place great importance in and it plays a central role in how I treat patients. Much of it is based on the principles of naturopathic medicine. To learn more, Click Here.